Tuesday, October 24, 2006

 

Belem and Beaches

The first day in Belem I decided that I would go to the Amazon theater,
which was built in the rubber boom days. The most ornate parts for this
building were imported from Europe and Englend. They had so much
rubber then that they even paved the road outside the theater with
bricks made of rubber sand and stone so as to reduce the noise from
late arriving carriages. (Some of these bricks are still in place today!)
But I was having some truble finding it and was asking directions. I
kept being sent to this building! It looked nice but did not
seem like what I was looking for














It was a theater of sorts, just not the one I was looking for.
I was in the right area and just across the road was the correct
location.






























Another part of my time was spent at the resort town of Ponta Negra.
It's quite supprising, considering that it's on the river bank of the Amazon
river, but with all beaches in Brazil there is beer , ice cream and other vendors















Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?