Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

Salar de Uyuni day 1

I left La Paz at 5am and headed south. By nine thirty I arrived at the planned refueling point only to find no diesel available. It seams that the overnight temp got down to -10c so I had to wait till noon before a delivery arrived. I took the opportunity to have the oil changed and used the last oil that I took with me from the US. Sat at the station till the fuel truck arrived and was first in line! Back on the road, the next stop was some rock painting that dates some 1500 years ago. It took a little finding but got there, few people come here and the woman who runs the site came running up the road after leaving her sheep and llamas to unlock the gate. Then a quick change of clothes to be a tour guide!


By the late afternoon the pavement ran out and the road turned a little west. Some hours later I arrived at a crater that is miles across and quite deep. Get this, there's water in the bottom and it is farmed! It just made me wonder what or how big was the metor that hit the earth that could displace so much earth and leave a scar this big.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?