Saturday, May 13, 2006

 

Macchu Picchu



I got up early to get the 5.30am bus for Macchu Picchu. I woke at 4.45am but it was raining, so I went back to bed for an hour and got to the bus stop at 6.30am. We got to the main gate at 7.30am. It was very foggy but this is how it will be for me (the sun does not shine all the time). But I will make the best of it and just hope it gets better. I set out to the temple of the Sun



and next to this was a hut that had a seat and a view. As I arrived I met someone from the night before. We sat and talked for a while as the tour parties passed till one caught our attention. This guy was really good! We followed him to the
next place at which point he invited us to join the group. The tour took one hour and his information was really good (or else he told a good story ?)



I went to bed after this. The next morning I took the trail that goes to the
Inca Bridge.



Upon arriving the first I see is a missing piece of the trail behind a fence as I follow the trail around to a wooden bridge section. Sheer cliff except for a 50cm walking trail. You still can see the ropes attached at some points where tourists took the trail until someone fell ??????? to his death. No more fun for the tourists. There is a 500meter drop off the cliff.



The last thing for the day is the hike up to the Sun gate for a classic view
of Machu Picchu and a quick look at the most recent landslide that has closed the Inca trail into Machu Picchu till repairs can be done.

My thoughts on Macchu Picchu, I can only think that this place was for learning but also it was a place for worship for these people. The Inca had a good idea on how the sun, moon and seasons affected their lives. They too also looked to the stars as did many early cultures did and as we do today and we should respect this place as a Holy site not a Disneyland ride. Maybe Pagan ritual should have more respect
than it gets today.

[This Pagan editor responds: Ra! Ra! Ra!]


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?