Friday, May 12, 2006

 

Aguas Calientes and Macchu Picchu



Machu Picchu starts with a 4 hour train ride, first up a zig zag then across the high plateau, then descending down to the town of Aguas Calientes. I have to stay two days here because I cannot get a return the next day. I will make a day of Macchu Picchu, and as I have a spare half day at the beginning, the guy at the hotel says that there is a short hike up Putucusi the mountain directly opposite Macchu Picchu.



I was told that it would take one hour. Off I go, following the directions I was given, down the train tracks till you find a set of stairs going to your right. Up I go and the trail curves and climbs till I come to the ladder. I was told it is about only fifty meters up a flat slippery rock face. Up I climb, feeling happy that was over. I look up, only to see another ladder. Up I go and with joy I finish that one only to find another around the corner! Up I go, this time it was the last but the trail is steep, crossing a saddle and climbing again. This time it is not jungle, just grass and rock. At one of the curves in the trail there is a crack in the rock
that houses a beehive. Some hour and a half later I arrive at the summit but just before this a Condor flies overhead, looked more like a plane than a bird!

This is my first view of Machu Picchu just across the valley. It looks so neat and tidy, like it has fine trimmed lawns on the terraces and new houses without roofs, just waiting for life, yet the only thing that moves there are the brightly colored tourists, most in groups just like cows coming home, slowly moving across the landscape. I think I sat and look for an hour before heading down.



After completing the hike I headed up the hot mineral water pools for a good long soak. The best part of this is they serve BEER POOLSIDE! You do not have to even get out. "Heaven!"


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?